Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2009 RECAP: EMERGE Art Show

In July of 2009, I got a chance to set up a weekend show on First Friday near the Santa Fe Art District in Denver. I invited my brother Greg Geiger along with friends John Cboins, Chelese Hawkins and the Ladies Fancywork Society to come share the space. It was a hectic schedule, but a lot of fun.
Here's the flyer for the show.
The gallery  was a couple of blocks
away from the main stretch of
Sante Fe Drive's First Friday, hence
the map and brightly lit signage. 
EMERGE Gallery.
731 W. 6th Avenue, Denver.
Here are our homemade signs. I made one
sign cover and my nephews made the other.
Since the show was thrown together really fast,
I wanted to make some relatively quick and
also rather affordable pieces for  my corner.
I whipped-up some fun colorful acrylic paintings
on nine 12" x 12" pieces of  high-quality plywood.
In addition to the new pieces,  I also foraged
through my piles of figure studies from several
previous years. Affordable and frame-less.
Greg and me. I'd wanted to do a show
with my big brother for a long, long time
- so this was a bit of a dream-come-true.
Amy and me. She was a HUGE help,
as always. (Chelese's art in background).
The Nephews! Evan and Noah.
They were a huge help too. Great guys. 
Denver crochet-bomb stars:
 Ladies Fancywork Society
brought their wares for sale.
(Chelese's art in background)
John, Jeanne and Amelia
People started showing up! Against all odds,
we managed to get a lot of First Friday's
foot-traffic from a few blocks away!
(John's art in background)
Many of us sold several pieces,
so the show was basically a success!
(Greg's art in background, John's art @ bottom right)
(Chelese standing at right) 

No comments: